Life slows down when you are sitting in front of a fire. It’s like watching a sunset. You can’t help but stop and be more present. That is the experience we create with Cutting Edge Firewood and the purpose behind our commitment to excellence. It’s why our firewood is dried longer than anyone else. It’s why our firewood lights easier and burns longer. It’s why our firewood is pest and mold-free and creates less smoke. So you can stop and enjoy the experience with those you love.
Shop By Amount
Order Specialty Sizes
Cutting Edge Firewood
S’mores, campfire stories, mantles decorated for the holidays, and cozy, soft lighting on a cold winter day — whatever the application is, indoor and outdoor fires are amazing experiences that provide endless relaxation and enjoyment. Whether you rely on firewood to warm your home or want the best fuel for your next backyard gathering, choosing high-quality firewood can make all the difference.
High-quality wood will produce a long-lasting, clean burn that will shine brightly and provide plenty of warmth for the whole family — but what separates premium firewood from the rest?
Learn more about the benefits of using top-quality, kiln firewood, including helpful tips and tricks for making the most out of each delivery. Then, shop Cutting Edge Firewood’s selection of kiln dried fire wood for sale, customize your shipment to fit your needs, and let our firewood experts take care of the rest.
An Introduction to Firewood
Generations of homeowners have relied on firewood to cook food and warm the home. Today, backyard bonfires and cozy fireplaces are the ideal ways to spend a weekend with loved ones — but not all firewood is created equally. The right firewood can transform an ordinary fire into an extraordinary experience, while burning low-quality wood can have unpleasant or hazardous side effects.
Looking for the best firewood available? Then you have found it! Cutting Edge Firewood is the premier provider of top-quality, kiln dried firewood, perfect for your indoor or outdoor fireplace. Our wood is simple to ignite and provides a clean burn. We make it easier than ever before to order and receive firewood, with various options for you to choose from for a personalized experience that fits your lifestyle.
We offer a complimentary white glove delivery service inside our delivery artisan network and ship firewood throughout the continental USA. We’ll even stack your firewood to your specifications, allowing you more time to sit back, relax, and enjoy the benefits of high-quality kiln dried firewood.
No two kinds of wood are the same.
three most popular kiln dried firewood types:
Oak is a popular choice of wood that provides excellent heat for your home. There are more than 600 different varieties of oak. This wood is dense and burns for a long time, though not quite as long as hickory. Once we use our special process to kiln dry our oak firewood, there is no possibility of it being delivered with insects or mold. It also produces very low emissions, making it safe to burn in your home and outdoors.
Hickory is a dense and heavy hardwood that most agree is traditionally the best for burning. Hickory wood is extremely easy to ignite since it doesn’t hold much moisture once kiln dried. Of all our wood selections, many find that hickory provides the best overall traditional experience. There is no possibility of insects or mold, and it gives off the lowest emissions, making it safe whether you want to enjoy it indoors or outdoors.
If you’re looking for an awesome unique wood burning experience that stands apart from the rest, try cherry wood. This firewood does not burn as hot or as long as our denser selections like hickory and oak, but many firewood enthusiasts refuse to burn anything but cherry firewood. The smell of cherry wood burning is out of this world, providing an amazing, slightly sweet aroma that will fill your home. Like all our kiln dried firewood, there is no possibility of cherry wood having insects or mold, and it produces minimal emissions.
Properties and Characteristics of High-Quality Firewood
From the outside, many types of firewood can look similar to one another. They likely come from the same forest and might share the same bark coloring and length, or even come from the same tree — but unless they were chosen, cut, and kiln dried by Cutting Edge Firewood experts, you won’t experience the same high-quality burn. That’s why it’s essential to source your firewood from professionals who know what it takes to produce the best caliber of wood for home use.
Luckily, it’s fairly easy to spot the most notable traits of excellent firewood, which can help you pick the best kind for your specific application. You can determine the burn quality of a piece of firewood by looking for the following properties and characteristics:
- The wood burns clean: High-quality firewood burns cleanly, producing minimal smoke and ash. Low-quality wood can produce an excess of these things, which are dangerous to breathe in and known to cause upper respiratory irritation. Too much smoke and ash can also stain your walls and curtains or clog your chimney, resulting in costly repairs.
- The wood produces a long-lasting burn: You’ve started the perfect fire and settled in with your friends for a fun evening, roasting marshmallows and exchanging stories — only for the fire to extinguish minutes later. Instead of relaxing with the others, you’re now stuck around the fire ring, stoking and stirring, trying to revive your hard work. Unfortunately, this is a common scenario with low-quality firewood. Premier firewood from Cutting Edge Firewood, on the other hand, provides a long-lasting burn that requires minimal maintenance, giving you more value for your investment.
- The wood has no signs of pests or fungus: If you don’t know where your firewood comes from, you can’t be sure of its quality. Dirt-covered wood or firewood with fungus and mold do not burn cleanly. Low-quality firewood can also harbor pests, like borers, ants, beetles, and termites, which can infiltrate your home. Our firewood is clean and always free of mold and insects, and it looks stylish when stacked and displayed.
- The wood is in good condition: Never burn green, rotten, wet, chemically treated, or painted firewood, as this can release toxic fumes and damage your fire accessories. Seasoning firewood allows the wood to dry for an extended period to eliminate excessive moisture and promote a cleaner burn. Kiln drying is a superior drying method due to the high-temperature oven. Kiln dried wood is cleaner, safer, and more long-lasting than any other type. We kiln dry all of our firewood 12 times longer than the USDA standard, so you know you’re always getting the best.
- The wood is cut correctly: When a piece of wood is cut evenly, it burns evenly. When choosing firewood, always opt for uniformly cut whole or split logs. Split logs are typically easier to light, but do not burn as long as whole logs. Whole logs — including uncut rounds — have a lasting burn, but require a very hot fire to ignite.
- The wood comes from a quality source: You already know you shouldn’t burn wet, green, or moldy softwood in your fireplace, especially when the fire is indoors. Instead, choose dry, top-quality wood from healthy oak, cherry, and hickory trees.
Firewood Usage Continues to Grow
Of the 900,000 new homes built in 2019, 310,000 of them had at least one fireplace. When you pair this figure with the rising popularity of outdoor fireplaces and fire pits, it’s clear that the need for firewood continues to grow — and why shouldn’t it? Nearly 2% of people in the U.S. rely on firewood as their primary source of fuel. Firewood is multifunctional, providing both light and heat without the need for electricity or extension cords.
Fireplaces, wood stoves, and backyard fire rings are natural gathering spots for the home or yard, adding visual interest and increasing the property’s value. Plus, wood is a natural and renewable resource, making it an eco-friendly heating or cooking method that lets you save money on your utility bill. Perfect for getting family or members of your local community together for a night of storytelling and fire-smoked delicacies.
Other popular trends include weddings and private dining events that feature roaring fires, either for their visual appeal or recreational use. When burning firewood for home entertainment, your wood’s quality can greatly impact the atmosphere of the gathering. Specific types of wood evoke different smells and various flame intensities. High-quality wood will allow you to enjoy these qualities without dealing with a lot of smoke or ash residue.
Our Firewood vs. the Other Guys
When you source your firewood elsewhere, such as from a department store, you have to consider how to get it to your home. Then, you must set aside time in your schedule to carefully haul, load, and stack it. On top of this time-consuming work, you risk investing in dirty, diseased, or infested wood, which will put a damper on your gatherings. While other suppliers focus on producing as much wood as possible for minimal costs, Cutting Edge Firewood never cuts corners.
While our high-temperature kiln removes moisture from your firewood, it also eliminates any chances for fungus, mildew, and pests to infiltrate your wood — all while cleaning the bark. This drying process results in a clean, even round of wood that will fill your home with a pleasing aroma and comfortable warmth.
About Specialty Sized Firewood
If you have a large fireplace or fire pit, you might need larger pieces of firewood to ensure an extended, even burn. Cutting Edge Firewood has specialty sized shipments that you can either use on their own or pair with our standard firewood for optimal burn conditions. Our split specialty size wood promises an extended burn time and is three to four times thicker than standard cuts. Specialty sizing is available for all types of wood, including cherry, oak, and hickory.
How Our Process Works
At Cutting Edge Firewood, we offer more than firewood — we strive to provide a memorable experience. We know some of life’s best memories are made in the warmth of a fire’s glow, and we want the ordering and shipment process to be as simple and stress-free as possible. That’s why we let you choose the type, size, and quantity of your wood, in addition to opting for luxury white glove delivery services.
Here is what you can expect when you partner with Cutting Edge Firewood:
- Choose how the wood arrives: First, you’ll choose how you’ll receive your shipment — rack or box. You can buy firewood online as a one-time box or select subscription delivery. Each box contains enough 16-inch standard cut firewood to fuel two to four fires, plus four fire starters, four pieces of heart pine, eight pieces of kindling, and a box of cigar matches. Our 2-by-4 carbonized steel racks can hold enough wood for 15 to 25 fires, and we also have wood rack covers to keep your shipment dry.
- Select your type of wood: Choose from one of our three most popular types of firewood — oak, cherry, or hickory. Each type of wood is available for either box or rack shipments. If you select our rack firewood, we’ll deliver the racks directly to your home, where we will leave them with you or stack the wood on your own wood rack.
- Choose the correct size: Choose the size of your wood shipment based on the type of fireplace or wood stove you plan to burn it in. At Cutting Edge Firewood, we offer uncut rounds, wood sized for a chiminea or small wood stove, and specialty sizes.
- Wait for your delivery: Once you’ve made your final selections, you can relax while we package and deliver your shipment to your chosen location! Our professional white glove delivery professionals will place your wood wherever you want it as long as you live within our Delivery Artisan Area. We’ll also happily demonstrate how to light it or answer any questions you have about getting the most from your new fuel. Live outside the local area? We can firewood delivery anywhere in the U.S., which includes bulk delivery options.
Planning a special event? Consider adding on our fire butler service, so you can enjoy your gathering while we start and manage your fire throughout the evening.
Artisanal Firewood Delivery Services
Cutting Edge Firewood’s Artisanal Delivery Service is classified as a luxury white glove service. This service takes the work out of buying and receiving firewood. Delivery Artisans deliver firewood in patent pending, exclusive, airbrushed firewood racks with a high-quality canvas cover perfectly stacked every time in the location of your choice. Providing ready to use, high-quality firewood materials every time with expert firewood knowledge, the Delivery Artisans can even start the first fire and demonstrate how to have the best experience.
Once you schedule your preferred delivery date, we will begin processing the order immediately and typically deliver within one week. If you need your shipment sooner, we also offer same-day delivery service on box shipments. In addition to Artisanal Delivery, you can also take advantage of our fast, efficient fire-starting services. Our Delivery Artisans will build and start your fire while offering helpful tips along the way, so you can replicate the process next time.
Our delivery service is constantly expanding and currently includes the Atlanta area, as well as Charlotte, North Carolina, Nashville, Tennessee, and everywhere in between.
Hickory Firewood for Sale
Though you’ll find hickory trees all across the U.S., they are most common in the hills and forests of Central and Eastern regions of the country. The exact shade and texture of the bark varies between different types of hickory, but the color is most often some degree of ashy gray — sometimes with a shaggy appearance.
Hickory firewood provides you with the distinctive qualities everyone loves about a great fire. It is a customer favorite because of its:
- Quality: It burns longer than all our other split wood options — even longer if you choose our oversized hickory firewood or uncut rounds. It also produces the hottest and brightest flames.
- Experience: Burning hickory creates that cozy, classic, crackling sound that you associate with a flickering flame, making it the ideal selection for cold nights gathered with loved ones around the fire pit.
- Fragrance: It leaves behind one of the most pleasing firewood aromas, making it especially suitable for special events.
- Versatility: It’s versatile — you can use hickory for smoking and cooking food, thanks to its smokey flavor.
- Comfort: Burning hickory produces the least amount of emissions and minimal sparks or smoke, ensuring a safe and comfortable experience.
- Simplicity: Hickory doesn’t hold moisture, so it is very easy to ignite once dried in a kiln. Fire management once ignited is also very straightforward.
Oak Firewood for Sale
With more than 90 types of oak trees in North America, oak firewood is among the most abundant and one of the most common types of firewood for sale. At Cutting Edge Firewood, we source our oak firewood from red and white trees that grow in lush, Southern forests. The color of oak bark varies, depending on the type of tree in question, but is often a lighter shade of brown or gray.
For those who don’t have a lot of experience with firewood — or, as we call them, “casual burners” — oak is a great starter wood to begin your adventure in premium firewoods because it offers:
- Simplicity: Oak firewood is simple to light, thanks to the oak tree’s low resin, moisture, and sap content.
- Versatility: It produces bright flames that give off ample heat. It is ideal for use in all applications, especially indoor fireplaces, because it burns clean.
- Fragrance: Many people prefer the bright glow of oak because it produces a pleasant smell that many describe as sweet.
- Safety: Oak firewood flames are easily manageable, making them a safer choice for households with children or pets, or for a starting home project.
Cherry Firewood for Sale
If you’re seeking a unique burning experience to impress your friends, create a one-of-a-kind atmosphere, or add something special to your next event, cherry firewood is just what you need. Cherry firewood is easily recognizable, thanks to its bold, warm color and straight grains, as well as its:
- Strength: This wood is particularly strong, ideal for shipping long distances or putting in long-term storage.
- Flame: It produces a bright, warm glow, but not too much heat, making it perfect for use during spring, summer, and early fall.
- Fragrance: Though you won’t get as long of a burn time as you will with our hickory and oak offerings, there is one significant benefit of cherry wood that appeals to everyone — the smell. We — along with our clients — can’t get enough of this sweet, unique aroma. The best part? After burning cherry firewood, you can expect the pleasant smell to linger around your home or property for a long time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Have a question about the best way to use or store your firewood? Our firewood experts are here to help, offering details and resources on firewood best practices. Below you’ll find the answers to some of the questions we hear most frequently about firewood. To learn more — or ask a question you don’t see listed here — feel free to reach out to us by phone or email for more assistance.
Yes. Several factors can cause firewood to go bad or lose its effectiveness, including:
- Using firewood that comes from a diseased tree.
- Choosing firewood that has not been treated, seasoned, or kiln dried.
- Using firewood that is not pest-free, which can lead to decay and further infestation of your other wood.
- Employing improper storage methods, which includes leaving firewood exposed to the elements and fluctuating temperatures.
- Neglecting to remove any rotting or diseased firewood from your storage area, which can cause otherwise healthy firewood to deteriorate more quickly.
The best way to avoid bad firewood is to purchase a high-quality product from Cutting Edge Firewood and follow all recommended storage practices.
All Cutting Edge Firewood is free of disease, mold, fungus, and bugs, and has been thoroughly kiln dried for maximum effectiveness. However, using improper storage methods or storing our firewood with wood from other distributors may lead to wood damage. A good piece of firewood is sturdy and clean without visible damage or missing bark. The wood should be firm to the touch and free of discoloration.
A few indicators that your firewood has gone bad include:
- Visible signs of fungus or mildew growth.
- Wood that is soft to the touch, indicating excess moisture or rotting.
- Insects in or on your wood supply, or leftover pest residue or markings that could indicate an infestation.
- Peeling or falling bark.
The answer to this question varies, depending on your specific woodburning goals. For example, our cherry firewood produces the least amount of heat and burn time, but the unique aroma makes it the perfect choice for a special event or gathering.
Hickory firewood burns longer than oak and is a popular choice for indoor fireplaces, while many prefer oak when burning outdoors. You can also choose extended burn firewood for an even longer burn, which is perfect for large fire pits and fireplaces or events requiring a strong flame throughout the night.
Many kinds of wood are suitable for general burning and home heating, as well as cooking and smoking foods, including oak, hickory, and cherry. Other woods — like maple and apple — are great for culinary purposes, but less effective for general use. The wood’s cut and size are also important to note.
Wood burning applications call for logs, split wood, and uncut rounds, while firewood for cooking is most beneficial when cut down to small splits or wood chunks. Always choose the correct size firewood, splits, or wood chunks to fit your fireplace, wood stove, fire pit, or grill. For the best results, do not burn firewood outside of its recommended use.
Building a fire is easy if you have the right supplies. Here’s what you need to do:
- Prepare the area: If you’re building an indoor fire, prepare your wood stove or fireplace by removing any ash or soot leftover from the previous burn and ensuring the area is clear of debris. Open up the fireplace damper and set up the protective grate. If you have a chimney, make sure a professional has cleaned and serviced it, especially if this is your first fire of the season. Doing so will ensure a clean and safe woodburning experience that everyone can enjoy without putting their health at risk..
- Clean your outdoor pit: If you’re burning outdoors, prepare your fire pit by clearing away any grass or debris inside the pit and creating a comfortable seating area around it. You’ll also want to allow the area ample time to dry after rain, so you don’t waste matches or fire starters by trying to light them in wet conditions.
- Gather supplies: The most essential part of your fire is the fuel. Kiln dried firewood from Cutting Edge Firewood is the best way to ensure a bright, long-lasting fire. You also need a match and some fire starters. For best results, avoid using leaves or household paper products, which could create excess smoke. Never burn garbage or anything that could explode or release toxic chemicals, like batteries and plastics. Excellent-quality wood will help you achieve a warm glow without the need for lighter fluids or accelerants.
- Assemble the fire: Build your fire by placing your wood in a criss-cross pattern known as the “log cabin” method. In this technique, you lay two pieces of wood parallel and place kindling between them. Stack two parallel logs on top of them, facing the opposite direction. Add another layer if you want, then use the fire starter to ignite. For outdoor fires, ignite a small pile of starter and, as the flame grows, add kindling and firewood piece by piece in a tent shape until you have a roaring fire.
All Cutting Edge Firewood is easy to light, thanks to our special kiln drying process. You can usually light your fire with a single match! To begin, choose a long match — like our official cigar matches — and strike it to light your excelsior fire starter. Add pieces of kindling to feed the flame. To make things even easier, add a fire starter package to your next Cutting Edge Firewood shipment. Each kit includes everything you need to start a fire in minutes, including the fire starter, kindling, and matches.
To manage your fire, you’ll need to stoke it regularly as needed. Add more firewood as it burns. One your fire is lit — especially if outdoors — do not leave it unattended. Remember to extinguish it thoroughly before leaving.
Our Delivery Artisans will gladly unload and stack your firewood in any place of your choosing. For the longevity of your firewood, make sure you store it somewhere that is:
- Covered: Keep your firewood protected from rain, snow, and wind by covering it with a tarp, angled roof, or rack cover. You could also store it inside a small woodshed near your home. Doing this prevents it from being exposed to the elements and sustaining damage or absorbing moisture.
- Off the ground: Always stack firewood off the ground. Otherwise, you risk pest infestation or moisture transferring from the dirt to your wood. That issue can cause wood rot or render your firewood difficult to light. Instead, stack your wood on a raised platform or a sturdy slab made of wood or concrete.
- Near adequate airflow: Adequate airflow is the best way to preserve your wood’s integrity and maintain its effectiveness and aroma. Airflow will also combat any moisture that has made its way into your storage area. Make sure wherever you choose to store your lumber is well ventilated, and be sure to avoid stacking the firewood too compactly for the bottom layers to access fresh air.
- Away from the foundation: Always keep firewood several feet away from the foundation of your home, preferably in a raised rack, to keep insects at bay and protect your foundation from accidental damage.
When you choose high-quality indoor fireplace wood from Cutting Edge Firewood, your shipment will be more than functional — our wood also looks great when displayed in your home. If you’re stacking your wood indoors, similar storage rules apply as when you store firewood outdoors. Opt for a ventilated storage area near your fireplace or wood stove for optimal comfort and convenience. Do not store wood in any areas of the home that are exceptionally moist or humid, such as directly under an air conditioner.
Most firewood suppliers follow the cord measurement standard, which refers to a stacked pile of wood that equals about 4-by-8 feet, with each individual piece being about 4 feet long. We wanted to do more than that by creating a uniform product that burns evenly and eliminates any confusion among retailers.
That’s why we sell all of our firewood via box and rack shipments, with specific dimensions listed online, depending on the type and size of wood you choose. By operating this way, we make it easier for you to know exactly what to expect when your firewood shipment arrives — high-quality, durable wood that burns cleanly and evenly every time.
Artisanal Delivery Service
Cutting Edge Firewood’s Artisanal Delivery Service is classified as a luxury white glove service. This service takes the work out of buying and receiving firewood. Delivery Artisans deliver firewood in patent pending, exclusive, airbrushed firewood racks with a high-quality canvas cover perfectly stacked every time in the location of your choice. Providing ready to use firewood every time with expert firewood knowledge, the Delivery Artisans can even start the first fire and demonstrate how to have the best experience.
Our delivery service is constantly expanding and currently includes the Atlanta GA area, Charlotte NC, Nashville TN, and everywhere in between. We also firewood delivery nationwide!
Get Firewood Shipped Anywhere in the United States
Our Artisanal Delivery services are available for everyone in the Atlanta area, but our reach extends far beyond Georgia. Our firewood and firewood products are available online to be shipped anywhere in the United States. You will receive the same kiln dried wood as our local clients — available in either a box, rack, or bulk ordering option — packaged neatly and securely for safe, prompt delivery.
Shipping rates of our kiln wood for sale vary depending on the type and size of your order, as well as the delivery destination. Some products are even eligible for complimentary shipping.
If you’re getting your firewood shipped, consider investing in the ultimate firewood delivery package, which includes everything you need to light and maintain dozens of fires. This package includes:
- Five racks of your choice between hickory, oak, and cherry wood — you’re even free to mix-and-match to create your ideal supply.
- One hand truck so you can easily and safely transport the racks and store them in the correct place.
- Two fire starter packages, which include kindling, a bundle of heart pine, and fire starters.
- Your choice between a box of packaged firewood or small order of smoking chunks.
This package is a valuable investment for anyone who relies on firewood to warm the home, especially if you’re stocking up for the winter months. This package includes complimentary shipping as well, making it an investment well worth its value.
Learn More About the Cutting Edge Firewood Experience
As the only supplier of premium firewood and fire products in the Southeast, we are passionate about providing a unique experience. Whether you’re planning a special event, organizing a backyard bonfire, or simply searching for a clean, reliable way to warm your home, we are here to make it happen. Contact a representative today to learn more about the Cutting Edge Firewood experience and ask about our delivery services.
We proudly serve the greater Atlanta area
- Berkeley Lake
- Big Creek
- Chastain Park
- College Park
- Druid Hills
- East Cobb
- Fair Oaks
- Flowery Branch
- Holly Springs
- Johns Creek
- Lithia Springs
- Morning Side
- Mountain Park
- Peachtree City
- Peachtree Corners
- Powder Springs
- Sandy Plains
- Sandy Springs
- Smoke Rise
- Sugar Hill
- Union City