The story of our Pecan Cooking Wood
Unlike our other species of firewood, pecan is typically not used in fireplaces or fire pits. Instead, pecan is used specifically for cooking. It provides a unique and popular flavor that simply demands you cook with it.
When Cutting Edge Firewood started searching for pecan firewood, our main goal was to provide the best possible flavor. Lots of cooking wood available today is too green, which means it takes longer to heat and it produces more smoke (but not the flavorful kind).
Pecan rots very quickly, which means that seasoned pecan is basically rotting (and moldy) pecan. That wouldn’t taste great or be particularly safe to consume. For this reason, we determined to send the pecan firewood through our rigorous drying process as quickly as possible.
We source all our pecan wood from aged out of production pecan groves in South Georgia and Northern Florida. The kiln location is close enough to the old pecan groves, which ensures the wood goes through our drying process within a couple of days of being cut.
Our rigorous Cutting Edge Firewood drying process ensures the pecan will light quickly and that the great flavor of the smoke will hit the food immediately, enabling whatever you cook to absorb the most possible flavor.
Once dry, the wood gets sent to our headquarters in Norcross, GA. Every log goes through a hand selection process and is packaged as either a standard cut log (known as a “stick” in the bbq world) or hand cut into chunks or splits
During selection, we check to make sure it’s the perfect size, then we ensure there is no rot on the wood, and finally, we confirm that the log includes both heartwood and sapwood. Tree trunks are composed of both heartwood and sapwood, and the best possible flavor is only achieved when both of them are together.
Once we’ve selected the top pieces for optimal flavor, we place the wood into boxes and racks that can be delivered or shipped throughout the United States.
Try the Cutting Edge difference for yourself by ordering the best pecan cooking cooking wood available today.
WHAT’S IN THE BOX?
This box of Pecan cooking wood includes:
- Our 16″ standard cut pecan firewood
- The box is 16″ long, 17″ tall, and 14″ wide
- Each box includes a few pieces of kindling, matches, and fire starters
- Boxes weigh up to 50 pounds and contain only firewood with 5-10% moisture content (less water weight, more wood for your cook!)
- Can be shipped nationwide
- Complimentary Same day delivery in Atlanta area
WHY CHOOSE A BOX?
Although smaller than a rack of pecan, boxes of pecan are a popular way to receive cooking wood. Here are a few reasons boxes might be right for you:
- You love the convenience of having everything you need in one box.
- You can easily take a box with you to a competition, to the beach, or to the lake.
- Boxes make great gifts.
- You want to try a variety of cooking wood products before choosing an entire rack.
- Boxes are easier to ship across the country.
- You need cooking wood tonight! Receive complimentary same day delivery in Atlanta.
If you are looking for great pecan flavor but in a smaller piece of wood, then we suggest trying out a box of our pecan chunks or pecan splits.