Hickory Firewood Products
Outside of Georgia? Learn more about or shipping service today!
A good fire provides many benefits — it warms the body, transforms the atmosphere and creates lasting memories. However, building an unforgettable fire is not an easy task and requires a number of materials and tools, such as tongs, roasting forks, fire irons and, most importantly, premium firewood.
Hickory is one of the highest-quality firewoods available, although acquiring it can be a major pain. You have to find hickory firewood for sale, inspect it for moisture, rot and mold, haul it to your house and then stack it.
You could go through this tiresome routine every time you need firewood, although we have a better suggestion — leave it in the hands of Cutting Edge Firewood. With us, all these hassles will be eliminated. We’ll sell you the best hickory firewood and deliver it right to your home.
Benefits of Choosing Hickory Firewood
Hickory is the most premium and popular wood product that we offer. This heavy and dense hardwood is easy to light and is considered ideal for burning and cooking. It burns hotter, brighter and longer than other woods and produces exceptionally low smoke emissions, making it safe to enjoy indoors or outdoors. Fire enthusiasts love it for its pleasant aroma and inviting crackle, which are guaranteed to make your home more inviting.
Properties of Hickory Wood
Hickory is an incredibly strong, shock-resistant and flexible hardwood with a coarse and straight grain. It’s also exceptionally hard, which can make it difficult to cut with saws or other machinery. It is often used for cabinets, furniture and objects that require strength and durability, such as tool handles, ladders, axes, sports equipment and flooring. Hickory is also found in products that require bent wood, such as chairs and rockers.
Hickory trees grow to heights ranging from 60 to 120 feet. The sapwood is white with a brown tinge, and the color of the heartwood ranges from pale to reddish brown. Hickory is abundant throughout the eastern United States and costs will vary depending on the location and quality of the wood.
Hickory’s fire-burning properties can be summarized as follows:
- Ignition: It’s exceptionally easy to start fires with hickory logs.
- Burn time: Hickory firewood burns for a long time.
- Heat: The flames produced by hickory firewood are among the hottest.
- Aroma: Hickory produces a pleasant, inviting scent.
- Brightness: Hickory’s flames are exceptionally bright.
- Emissions: Hickory produces very few emissions.
- Insects: Because our logs are kiln dried, our hickory firewood is free of bugs.
- Mold: Our kiln drying process also removes all mold from our hickory logs.
Choosing Our Kiln Dried Hickory Firewood
After a tree is cut down, its wood must be dried before it can be used as firewood. If the moisture content in the wood is above 20 percent, it is difficult to light and it will produce large amounts of smoke when burned.
There are two common methods for getting the moisture content of logs below 20 percent. One method is to season the logs, which requires leaving them to dry for six months to a year. Another way, which is faster and more efficient, is to dry the logs using a kiln. Kilns are high-temperature ovens than heat the wood, removing the moisture that makes the logs difficult to ignite. The kiln also kills any fungus or insects present in the wood.
At Cutting Edge, we kiln dry our logs for a full 48 hours, which is 12 times longer than USDA requires. For this reason, our firewood ignites more easily, burns cleaner and lasts longer than that of our competitors.
Cutting Edge Kiln Dried Firewood offers many advantages over traditionally seasoned firewood. Here are some of the benefits:
- It can be used immediately: You can burn it the day you receive it.
- You don’t have to store it outside: Storing your wood inside means that bugs, fungus and mold won’t be able to attack as easily.
- It has less bark and debris: Kiln dried logs will make less of a mess when you bring them inside.
- Your chimney will be cleaner: Kiln dried logs produce less creosote, which will lead to less buildup in your chimney.
- It’s less smoky: The kiln drying process significantly reduces the moisture content, which means it will produce less smoke when burned.
- It’s lighter: Lighter firewood will allow you to carry more at once.
- It ignites and burns easily: Starting your fire will always be easy — often with just one match.
Our Product Offerings
Our hickory firewood products come in many varieties. Browse our offerings to see which best suits your needs:
- Firewood rack: Order this batch of 16-inch hickory firewood and enjoy 20 to 25 fires. If you’d like, we’ll include a 2-foot by 4-foot rack with your delivery.
- 24-inch firewood: If your fireplace or firepit is more spacious, consider ordering our 24-inch hickory firewood. They’re the same quality as our 16-inch logs, but their bigger size means you’ll get to enjoy your fire for longer.
- 30-inch firewood: If your fireplace can accommodate them, you can also order 30-inch firewood.
- Firewood box: Measuring 16 inches by 16 inches by 16 inches, our hickory firewood box will last for two to four fires. This order also includes kindling and our Excelsior Fire Starters.
- Extended Burning Firewood: If you’re a fan of larger firewood, this rack of oversized hickory firewood may be the perfect option for you. These firewood pieces are the standard length but are several times thicker. We recommended that you combine this purchase with another order of oak or hickory firewood because oversized firewood is difficult to start. This batch is good for 30 to 35 fires.
- Rack of cooking wood: This hickory cooking wood is enough to fill a 2-foot by 4-foot rack, which we can include as part of your order if you wish.
- Box of cooking wood: This 16-inch by 16-inch by 16-inch box contains hickory cooking wood that is good for two to four fires.
- Box of smoking chunks: These hickory smoking chunks are the preferred choice of many chefs when they smoke or grill. These smoking chunks are made for smokers and grills, and many chefs mix them together with other cooking woods. This 8.5-inch by 8.5-inch box contains enough chunks for eight to 12 meals.
- Large box of smoking chunks: If you’re planning to do a lot of cooking with hickory, consider this larger order of smoking chunks, which lasts for 40 to 55 meals.
Cutting Edge Firewood doesn’t just offer high-quality products — we also provide a concierge level of service that’s completely free. Below are some of the services we offer free of charge:
- We deliver: Our Delivery Artisans bring your firewood right to your doorstep. If you provide them with detailed instructions, you don’t even need to be present for the delivery. Currently, our delivery service is only available for Georgia residents. Please contact us about out of state shipping options.
- We cover: Your woodpile will be topped with a high-quality cover. We can also provide a rack if requested.
- We stack: We will stack your firewood wherever you prefer and however you like.
- We offer guidance: The Delivery Artisans can even teach you how to efficiently ignite your fire and keep it burning.
Hickory Firewood for Smoking and Cooking Food
Hickory firewood isn’t just used to make beautiful fires — it’s also popular for smoking, curing and seasoning various types of meat. It works particularly well for larger cuts of meat and practically any barbecue. It also gives meats a rich, dark, mahogany color.
Atlanta’s top chefs and grill masters prefer Cutting Edge Firewood’s to help flavor their gourmet meals. Our firewood is great in the kitchen for the following reasons:
- They produce hotter flames: Our kiln dried wood, which has a moisture content of 15 to 20 percent, burns much hotter than newly cut wood. Fires that burn hotter can more easily char the outside of meats, which makes the meat tastier because the charring helps to contain the flavor and moisture of the meat.
- They’re easier to start: Green wood is notoriously difficult to ignite because of the high amounts of moisture it contains. Our kiln dried wood, however, will never give you any trouble. You don’t need any lighter fluid.
- They’re safer to burn: Although this may come as a surprise, kiln dried wood is safer to burn than newly cut wood. Because green wood contains much more moisture, it becomes very smoky when burned, which can harm your lungs. Kiln dried wood also produces some smoke, but it is cleaner. When burning green wood, sometimes hot embers will shoot out from the fire, but with kiln dried wood, this is not a problem.
- They’re great for smoking meats: Smoking foods naturally requires a certain amount of smoke, so you may assume that green wood, which produces much more smoke than dried wood, may be more suitable for smoking. This is not the case, however. While kiln dried wood does produce less smoke, it’s still enough to smoke your food.
Flavor of Hickory
Cooking with hickory gives your food a sweet, robust, bacon-like flavor and works well with almost all meats, but is particularly delicious with pork and ribs. It should be noted that over-smoking with hickory, however, can cause your food to taste bitter. Hickory cooking wood is particularly popular in the South.
Products We Recommend to Complement Your Purchase
At Cutting Edge Fire, we sell a variety of accessories to enhance your wood burning experience. Our products include everything from baskets to roasting forks, which are great for cooking and roasting marshmallows. Our goal is to provide you with everything you need not only to keep you warm but also to create lifelong memories with every fire you build.
Below are some of the products that we offer:
- Hickory kindling: Our kiln dried hickory kindling is easy to light and complements any fire.
- Fireside seat: If you have an outside fire pit, this rustic stool made from oak is a great addition. Measuring 16 inches tall and 19 to 22 inches wide, this seat is roomy and comfortable. We must warn you, however, that these seats are quite heavy, so if you buy one at our showroom, don’t try to haul it home yourself. Let us deliver it to anywhere on your property for free.
- Fireside basket: This charming, hand-carved basket can rest on your hearth and be used to store fire starters, matches and other materials. Its handle is strong, so you can also use it to transport its contents to your outdoor firepit.
- Roasting fork: If you want to make your fire burning experience even more memorable, consider adding a roasting fork to your fireside accessories. These handcrafted, double-pronged forks can accommodate two hot dogs or four marshmallows.
- Ball designer fire iron: Measuring 45 inches long, this fireside utensil lets you tend the fire without needing to sit to close to the flames. It is made with the finest repurposed steel.
- Ash shovel: This elegant shovel, which features a curved handle, will make your ash removal duties much easier. It has a matte black finish, copper rivets and was manufactured using recycled steel drums.
- Firewood tongs: These 33-inch-long tongs are easy to use and make a beautiful addition to your fireplace. They’re a great accessory for building and maintaining your fire.
- Fire pit grill grate: This grill grate is an ideal product for grilling, smoking or cooking. To take care of this product, keep it seasoned and out of the elements, just as you would with a cast iron skillet. The fire pit grill grate was made for the 30-inch firepit.
- CEF cigar matches: A single one of these matches is all you need to start your fire — no other accelerants are needed. They’re also packaged attractively, coming in a high gloss black box that displays the logo in gold on both sides.
- Custom Steel Fire Pit Cover: Fire pit covers cut off the flow of oxygen to the embers. This snuffs out the fire and ensures that it will not continue. Figure out what size cover your need for your fire pit, and we will provide it.
Buy Your Hickory From Cutting Edge Firewood
At Cutting Edge Firewood, we’re passionate about burning firewood. But we’re even more passionate about helping every customer create memorable experiences. And we achieve this by offering helpful services and the highest-quality, cleanest-burning firewood possible.
We understand the hassles involved with creating a good fire — finding the right firewood can be time-consuming, hauling it to your home can be tiresome and messy, and starting a fire, especially with lower-quality wood, can be challenging. At Cutting Edge, we can guide you through the entire process and make sure that your experience is hassle-free and memorable.
If you live in or around Atlanta, we can provide complimentary delivery of your firewood. Live outside of Georgia? No Problem! We offer shipping options for boxes and racks around the country. If you would like to learn more about our services or schedule an appointment to see our showroom, you can call us at 678-878-2434 or contact us via our online form.
We look forward to speaking with you and enhancing your fire-burning experience.
Outside of Georgia? Learn more about or shipping service today!