Having a fire is the perfect way to relax on those chilly evenings throughout the year. To make the experience as best as it can be, you need to make sure you have all the necessary tools — chairs, our fire starter package, s’mores ingredients and, of course, high-quality firewood.
Cherry firewood is arguably the best kind of wood to use for fires. However, acquiring cherry firewood can be more challenging than finding any old pile of wood. You have to search for someone selling quality wood free of rot, mold and dirt then transport it to your home and stack it.
At Cutting Edge Firewood, we eliminate all these hassles for you by selling consistently high-quality, clean-burning wood and bringing it right to your home.
Benefits of Choosing Cherry Firewood
A wood burning experience with cherry is best described as unique. While not known to burn as long as our other denser species such as hickory and oak, many firewood enthusiasts still enjoy it for its pleasant scent.
Because our wood is kiln dried, you will not find any insects or mold in our cherry logs. However, if you are looking for logs that produce a lot of heat and burn for a long time, cherry wood may not be the best choice. The lower level of heat that cherry produces makes it an excellent choice for the warmer months of the year, from spring to early fall.
Cherry firewood does produce bright flames, so if you want a fire that creates an ample amount of light and a pleasant aroma, cherry may be the perfect choice for you.
Properties of Cherry Wood
Cherry trees, or Prunus avium, belong to the Rose family are native to areas of Europe, North Africa and Asia Minor. They are grown around the world in regions with cold weather and are the most widely planted ornamental tree in the United States. They are best known for their beautiful spring blossoms.
You can identify cherry trees from their bark. New branches and young trees have smooth brown or gray bark that looks like satin, and their surface is noticeably marked with horizontal openings known as lenticels.
In building and construction, cherry wood is valued for its rich color and straight grain. It is often used to make furniture and musical instruments.
Cherry’s wood-burning properties can be summarized below:
- Ignition: Getting a fire started with cherry logs is quick and easy.
- Burn time: Cherry firewood only burns a short to moderate amount of time.
- Heat: This firewood gives off a warm — but not hot — flame.
- Aroma: Cherry is well known for the wonderful, characteristic scent it produces.
- Brightness: Cherry gives off a bright flame, which, along with its scents, creates a memorable atmosphere.
- Emissions: This wood has a low amount of emissions.
- Insects: Because our logs are kiln dried, our cherry firewood has no insects.
- Mold: Our kiln drying process also eliminates all mold from our cherry logs.
Choosing Our Kiln Dried Cherry Firewood
When a tree is felled, it can’t be used for firewood right away because it still contains a high amount of moisture. This makes it difficult to burn and causes the wood to produce an excessive amount of smoke. Because of this, newly cut wood is regularly left to dry for six months to a year.
However, wood can be dried more quickly and efficiently using a high-temperature oven called a kiln, which both removes the moisture that makes firewood challenging to ignite and eliminates the fungus and insects. This makes the firewood last longer than any other available on the market. At Cutting Edge Firewood, we condition our firewood for 48 hours, which is 12 times longer than the USDA requires.
A kiln works similarly to an oven. To properly dry, firewood should be exposed to temperatures over 200 degrees for the proper length of time.
Kiln dried firewood is cleaner than traditional firewood and is preferred by grocers, retailers and brick-oven pizza shops. Kiln dried firewood provides the following benefits:
- It’s immediately ready to burn: You can use it the day you receive it.
- It doesn’t have to be stored outside: Storing your wood inside means less exposure to bugs, fungus and mold.
- It contains less bark and debris: You’ll be much more willing to store it inside.
- It causes fewer chimney problems: Our kiln dried firewood produces significantly less creosote when burned, which will keep your chimney much cleaner.
- Less smoke: It doesn’t produce as much smoke when it burns.
- Lighter than traditionally-dried firewood: Your back will thank you.
- It’s easy to ignite and burns efficiently: Starting a fire will never be a hassle. In fact, you can get a fire going using just one of our CEF Cigar Matches.
Our Product Offerings
Our firewood is available in a variety of types, sizes and amounts:
- Rack of cherry firewood: This massive delivery of 16-inch cherry firewood pieces is good for 20 to 25 fires. If you want to extend your burn time, you can mix the cherry with oak, but for the most potent aroma, use cherry firewood alone.
- Order of 24-inch cherry firewood: Our 24-inch wood is designed for larger fireplaces and pits. It has the same wonderful aroma as our standard 16-inch pieces, but its longer length allows you to enjoy its scent and bright flames for a more extended period.
- Box of cherry firewood: Our box of cherry firewood measures 16 inches by 16 inches by 16 inches — or 2.45 cubic feet — and contains enough firewood for two to four fires.
- Box of cherry cooking firewood: This wonderful fruit wood is an applewood substitute that is especially popular in the South. The box measures 2.45 cubic feet and is good for two to four fires.
- Box of cherry smoking chunks: Cherry wood is one of the most popular cooking woods because it lasts longer and tastes better than chips. These chunks are designed explicitly for grills and smokers. The box measures 8.5 inches by 8.5 inches by 8.5 inches — and the order is good for eight to 12 meals.
- Large Box of Cherry Smoking Chunks: This is a much larger order of the cherry smoking chunks. The box measures 2.45 cubic feet and is good for 40 to 55 meals.
At Cutting Edge Firewood, our Delivery Artisans offer a concierge level of service — and it’s all free of charge. They deliver the firewood to your home in firewood racks with a high-quality canvas cover and stack the wood exactly as you prefer in the location you prefer. Racks can be provided on request. They can even demonstrate how to start and maintain your first fire.
If the customer provides detailed delivery instructions, he or she does not even need to be physically present for the delivery.
Cherry Firewood for Smoking and Cooking Food
Cooking over a wood-burning fire gives food a delicious flavor that charcoal fires simply cannot offer. You can cook practically any food over a wood-burning fire, including steaks, hot dogs, pork chops, seafood and vegetables.
Cutting Edge Firewood is the choice of Atlanta’s most demanding chefs and grill masters. Our kiln dried wood, which has a moisture content around 15 to 20 percent, is ideal for cooking because:
- It burns hotter: Because of kiln dried wood’s lower moisture content, it burns hotter than green wood. In fact, it’s not uncommon for kiln dried wood to burn over 100 degrees Fahrenheit hotter than green wood of the same species. Wood flames that burn hot tend to char the outside of meats, which helps to contain the moisture and flavor.
- The wood is easier to start: Lighting newly cut wood can be difficult due to its high moisture content. Our kiln dried wood, on the other hand, will always light quickly and easily — without needing to use any lighter fluid or other accelerants.
- It’s safer to use: It may come as a surprise that kiln dried wood is safer to cook with than newly cut wood. When wood has just been cut, burning it produces a lot of harmful, sooty, thick smoke you don’t want in your lungs. When coming from kiln dried wood, smoke isn’t as harmful because it’s cleaner. Also, cooking with newly cut wood can also cause hot embers to shoot in all directions, which can cause pain or injury. With kiln dried wood, this isn’t a concern.
- It’s great for smoking meats: When smoking foods, you naturally want to have a good amount of smoke. Because our kiln dried wood is dry, you may think that it’s not suitable for smoking, but this is not the case. It actually works fantastic for smoking because it burns cleaner and more efficiently. And while it doesn’t produce as much smoke as green wood, it produces all the needed smoke and flavor to smoke and grill the best tasting meats.
Flavor of Cherry
If you’re wondering what meats go best with cherry firewood, the answer is any kind. In fact, if you’re not sure which wood species to choose for your cooking your next meal, go with cherry, and you won’t be disappointed. While oak, for instance, is only good with certain meats like beef, cherry can deliciously season lots of meats — from fish and chicken to beef and pork.
Cherry wood also gives the meat a beautiful dark and rosy tint. It gives light colored meats like chicken a dark skin, which may not look very appetizing, but it is delicious. If you would like the cherry flavor but not the color, you can mix it with apple wood, and the darkening won’t be as dramatic.
If you’re interested in giving an irresistible flavor to practically any meat, purchase our cherry cooking wood. We split and dry every chunk before selling it so that it can burn hotter and longer.
Products We Recommend to Complement Your Purchase
There are several accessories you can buy to enhance your wood burning experience. We have everything from designer fire irons to fire pit grates, which you can use to cook and roast marshmallows. We want your fires to not only keep you warm but also to create lifelong memories around every fire you build.
Here are some products we recommend to enhance your firewood burning experience:
- Fireside seat: Enhance the atmosphere of your backyard fire pit with this charming oak chair. With a height of 16 inches and a diameter of 19 to 22 inches, this chair is comfortable and spacious. You’re welcome to pick one up from our showroom, but these chairs are extremely heavy, so let us deliver it to you for free.
- Fireside basket: This distinctive hand-carved basket is made from Fir Root and allows you to store materials such as fire starters and matches. You can keep it on your hearth and use it to transport starting materials to the firepit out back.
- Roasting fork: These forks make a night by the fire more fun and the roasting process more efficient — with these forks, you can cook up to four marshmallows or two hot dogs at a time.
- Ball designer fire iron: This fire iron, designed with the finest repurposed steel, is 45-inches long and helps you maintain a safe distance from the fire.
- Ash shovel: This matte black shovel features a curved handle that makes it easy to remove ash. It was manufactured from recycled steel drums and includes attractive copper rivets.
- Firewood tongs: These handcrafted, 33-inch tongs are tremendously useful for making and maintaining fires. They’re easy to use and make an attractive addition to your fireplace or fire pit.
- 30-inch fire pit grill grate: This handy accessory was designed for the 30-inch fire pit. To maintain the grill grate, treat it as if it were a cast iron skillet — if it stays seasoned and is protected from the elements, it will last many years.
- CEF cigar matches: To light a fire, the only product you need is a CEF Cigar Match. All other accelerants are unnecessary. These matches are in a black box with the logo on both sides.
Buy Your Cherry From Cutting Edge Firewood
At Cutting Edge Firewood, we’re not just passionate about burning firewood — we want to create memorable fire experiences. We do this by offering the highest-quality products and services, so you can count on us to provide and deliver the cleanest-burning firewood every time.
We understand that acquiring good cherry wood can be tedious, bringing it home can be exhausting and getting a good fire started can be frustrating. Cutting Edge is here to guide you through the entire process and ensure your experience is stress-free and memorable.
If you live in the Greater Atlanta area, then you’re in luck — we can deliver your firewood to you for free. Outside of the Atlanta, Georgia area? We can provide special delivery options for you by clicking the button below. If you have a question about our services or would like to schedule a showroom visit, call us at 678-878-2434 or write to us via our online form.
With our high-quality products, expertise and commitment to good service, we are confident we can enhance your fire burning experience.