One of the most timeless decorating techniques is the use of firewood. The right firewood can provide a striking visual, a pleasant aroma, and plenty of warmth.
Firewood displays come in every shape and size imaginable, which might make them feel intimidating. In this article we’ll introduce a few tips for using firewood for interior design. If you want to go in-depth, then make sure you download our exclusive pdf guide to decorating with firewood.
Where to Display Your Firewood: 4 Considerations
When deciding where and how to display your firewood, there are a few key elements to keep in mind:
- Convenience: Would you rather have your firewood close by, or carry it some distance? You’ll get the most out of your wood if you store it near your fireplace or fire pit. Nothing is worse than trudging out into the cold rain when you want a nice fire inside. Accessible display areas make your interior design functional, and you’ll be much more inclined to use the firewood.
- Aesthetics: Firewood displays should contribute something to the space they occupy. They might complement the interior design or serve as a statement piece — like a bold couch or rug. Whatever the case, considering aesthetic appeal when displaying firewood will add unique style to your living room or patio.
- Longevity: The way you store your firewood significantly impacts how long it will last and how well it burns. To start fires efficiently, your firewood needs to maintain a low moisture content. Whether you’re displaying your wood indoors or outdoors, you’ll want to find a way to keep it as dry as possible.
- Aroma: Quality firewood provides an amazing aroma, but seasoned or green firewood could contain mold, fungus, or pests. You’ll want to ensure you select high end, kiln dried firewood that can provide a fresh aroma and makes people feel welcome.
If you’re looking for a great type of firewood for interior display, then look no further than Cutting Edge Firewood. Our rigorous drying process ensures that our firewood arrives with no bugs, mold, or fungus. Our wood is hand selected, ensuring you only receive beautiful pieces and everything is free from dirt. It’s safe to store anywhere in your home!
If you choose Cutting Edge Firewood, your carpet and your family will appreciate the choice!
What to Display Your Firewood In:
Because indoor displays protect your firewood from the weather and most moisture, convenience and aesthetics drive indoor firewood displays. Your display should balance style and functionality, and there are many ways to achieve this:
- Shelving: Though it may seem unconventional, sturdy shelving near a fireplace makes an excellent display area. Use as many or as few empty spaces as needed to customize the amount of wood you’ll use and how bold the display looks. You can mix and match typical shelf decor — books, photos, baubles, and more — with stacked firewood to incorporate the shelves seamlessly with the rest of your space.
- Room cutouts: If your home has a wall cutout near the fireplace, you can fill it with firewood for a bold, modern display. Indoor firewood stacking creates a clean, organized display that can be as tall or short as you desire. Some firewood delivery services will stack wood for you, and others will leave the task to you. Keep your firewood experience in mind when planning your display to ensure the method is sustainable as well as functional.
- Decorative racks: Metal firewood racks comes in a variety of shapes, sizes, and styles, allowing you to pick the rack that fits your firewood needs and accents your interior design. Short racks near a fireplace are compact solutions that add a homey touch. Taller racks create more of a statement, like a stacked shelf or cutout. Some indoor firewood racks even mount to the wall or have wheels, making this display option fully customizable.
- Inside fireplace: Displaying your firewood inside your fireplace creates an undeniably cozy atmosphere. Though this option doesn’t allow for as much wood storage as a rack or shelf, this may be a great option for a low-use fireplace. Stack the wood to emulate the warm aura of every holiday card fireplace, and use the wood when you’re ready for a fire. It’s a simple but effective way to get the most out of aesthetics and convenience.
- Styled containers: If metal racks aren’t your style, try a vintage bucket or wicker basket. These containers offer more visual variety than decorative racks while preserving the functionality of nearby firewood. Match the container size and style to your interior design for a firewood display that fits right in.
What to Display Alongside your Firewood
When decorating a room with firewood, consider adding some final touches. Firewood itself is beautiful, but the addition of a designer fire iron, handcrafted steel firewood tongs, andirons, or a firewood stand can make a world of difference. Not to mention you have everything you need at your fingertips.
The right firewood accessories can be an aesthetically pleasing addition to your home, and provide great functionality. They can provide a rustic and cozy feel that transforms the way you think about fireside experiences.
Cutting Edge Firewood offers a wide variety of fireside tools and accessories. View all of our accessories here, or see some of our favorites below.
If you’d like to see how other people are using firewood to decorate their homes, then check out the following sources:
HGTV shows off several wonderful homes that have utilized firewood to add a cozy, luxurious feeling. A stack of kiln dried firewood in a set of firewood tongs goes perfectly next to a massive fireplace in a rustic wood cabin. Or, picture a classy firewood stand next to an elegant fireplace and mantle in your home.
Style Motivation has 18 brilliant ideas to allow your home to embrace the full essence of top notch firewood, from the aesthetic to the aroma to the quality. Nothing beats the best of the best.
Our favorite resource, however, is our complete guide to decorating with firewood! This pdf document guide is available for free to all of our subscribers. Complete the form below to get your copy!